Re: UV light from computer monitors and cataract formation

>One of our employees has contacted me and indicates that his doctor informed
>him that he has the start of cataracts.  The doctor told him that the UV
>light from computer monitors is the second highest causal agent for
>cataracts other than the sun...

Not according to the evidence I've seen.  Professor Barry Cole of the
University of Melbourne's Optometry department studied 642 VDU users for 6
years and found no statistically significant increase in cataract over a
control group of 673 non-exposed persons

>Does anyone out there have a "reference" that addresses this matter or any
>information whatsoever?  I would appreciate hearing from you.

I'm waiting on advice from regarding the journal Cole's work was published
in but I do have a 1.5 page summary that he gave at a seminar in 1994.
I'll fax that to you and send on the full reference when I get hold of it.

Michael Williamson

Radiation Protection Adviser and Acting         		ph +61 7 3365 4504
Director of OH&S				                              fax +61 7 3365 1577
Occupational Health & Safety Unit      	 m.williamson@mailbox.uq.edu.au
University of Queensland
Brisbane 4072
Australia

The opinions expressed in this communication are those of the writer:
unless explicitly stated they should not be taken as representing the
official policies or views of the University of Queensland.