Re[2]: Safety of Am-241 Smoke Detectors

     Mike:

     10CFR30.20 provides an NRC EXEMPTION from licensing, not a general
     license for smoke detectors.  The exemption (as written) is for the
     reciept, possession, use, transfer of "..detectors designed to protect
     life or property from fires ..".

     Once you remove the Am-241 from the smoke detector, you no longer meet
     the intent of the exemption since the device is not a "..detector
     designed to protect life or property from fires ..".

     Additionally, beware of the relative hazard from Am-241.  The
     inhalation ALI is 6 nanocuries (12,000 dpm) which makes this isotope
     one of the most radiotoxic.

     Given the above, I don't think that the regulators would approve of
     dismanteling.

     Please let me know if you find anything to the contrary.

     Good luck

     Eric Darois, CHP
     Seabrook Station
     daroiel@naesco.com