Re: Locked High Rad Areas

Paul,

There is no regulation that requires that you have an individual key to each
lock.  Some facilities have one key for many locks depending on the area and
need for access/egress.  You have to determine the best way for you to maintain
"positive" control over the area. Many facilities have found that using the same
key to access many areas has gotten out of control and they are now switching to
different keys for different locks. By having the same key to all areas, you
give workers a "carte blanch" to enter any LHRA (which may vary greatly in
hazard) when you issue a key.

At our facility, we have found that under most cases, controlling "areas" works
well.(i.e. if we have 5 doors leading to one room, they will all be keyed the
same).  Different areas have different keys.  This may or may not work for you.
You should consider your response to lost keys.  If you have too many locks
keyed the same and you lose the key, you have a lot of access points you have to
guard until you can re-key the locks. If you have separate keys for many areas,
you may also want to consider having a master key (under extremely tight
controls) to be used in emergencies.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to give me a call to discuss LHRAs if you
would like.  I have been involved with this issue for quite some time.

Jay Tarzia, CHP
Seabrook Station
603-474-9521 Ext 3868
tarzijp@naesco.com