Am-241 disposal issues II

Dear Radsafers:

I apologize if this topic has been recently discussed. I don't normally deal with Am-241 disposal issues so I probably
deleted any recent discussions on this topic.

I am looking for information on:

1) the current regulatory contols, if any, on the disposal of Am-241 smoke detectors

(e.g., any CFR sites other than)

- 10 CFR 32.102 Schedule C - prototype tests for calibration or reference sources containing
americium-241.

- 10 CFR 32.57 Calibration or reference sources containing americium-241: Requirements for license to
manufacture or initially transfer.

and

2) any research that has address the risks of Am-241 smoke detector disposal in a municipal landfill.

This information will help me respond to a request for information from the Fire Protection Industry Association of
Australia. My hunch is that others on Radsafe may have already seen this request. Please send your information to
me and I'll forward a compiled set of responses to the list.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Carey A. Johnston (US EPA)
Radiation Protection Division