Re: Use of radioactive material in MFG

You may want to contact some manufacturer themselves.

You may find 4 types of application:

Power (We all know about this one)

Non-destructive testing with gammagraphy (Amersham, maker of the Sentinel
Ir-192 exposure device and other Co-60 devices, activities between 15 Ci to
100 Ci)

Non-destructive analysis:

 For metallography for example (Cd-109, Fe-55 etc. Texas Nuclear is a
company that used to make those devices, activities of about 1 mCi)

For gauging or density analysis: Various activities in Paper mills, bottling
plants, mines, on roads (portable gauges) etc. (Cs-137, Co-60, Kr-85, Sr-90
etc. various activities from 1 mCi to 10 C, good companies: Measurex, Texas
Nuclear, Asea Brown Boveri, Troxler  etc,)

Self lightning products:

For exit signs in aircraft or Emergency landing lights on the ground (army):
(H-3, over 1 Ci, I don't recall the manufacturer)

Static elimination:

In some fabrics plants, paper mills, plastic plants etc. (Kr-85, Po-210, old
one with Ra-226, from 500 uCi to 25 mCi: companies:  CAHN, 3M etc.)

You may want to contact the Office of Public Information of the Atomic
Energy Control Board on the NET at

http://www.gc.ca/aecb

Good luck, I hope I helped...

Stephane Jean-Francois Phys. Eng.
RSO Merck Frosst Canada
stephane_jeanfrancois@merck.com

This was my opinion only, and I do not involve my employer.