Re: CellPhones

Date sent:  13-SEP-1996 09:53:42

There ARE circumstances in which cellphones can affect medical
equipment,  including changing the flow rate of infusion pumps.
Cellphones should not be used within 2 meters of medical
electrical equipment.

See:

K J Clifford,  K H Joyner,  D B Stroud et al
'Mobile Telephones Interfere with Medical Electrical Equipment'
Australasian Physical & Engineering Sciences in Medicine (1994)
17(1): 23 - 27

Alex Mitchell
hospam@wnmeds.ac.nz

>Rick;
>The answer to your question is no.
>Ray
>
>>Question:  do cellular phones produce any unwanted effects on CT scanners,
>>pacemakers,  IV infusion pumps, or any other medical equipment?  My first
>>response is no due to frequency and power of a cell phone.  Thanks in
>>advance;  reply openly or to me specifically.
>>

>>LCDR Rick L. Van Way
>>Radiation Health Department
>>U.S. Naval Hospital Okinawa
>>PSC 482, Box 2620
>>FPO AP  96363-2620
>>Phone:  643-7625 (DSN) / 011-81-611-743-7625 (Comm)
>>Fax:       643-7812 (DSN) / 011-81-611-743-7812 (Comm)

--------
Dr Alex Mitchell, Medical Physicist, Radiology Dept, Wellington Hospital,
                  Private Bag 7902, Wellington South 6002, New Zealand.

hospam@wnmeds.ac.nz           phone + 64 4 385 5849   fax + 64 4 385 5829