Re: Re[2]: calculation of dose to biota

It depends on exactly what you are trying to do (or prove), and how you
qualify your statement of dose.  My earlier response to you is still valid:
effective dose applies only to humans.  Dose to biota is from my knowledge
and experience correctly and best expressed by the absorbed dose quantity.
The factor of 20 to which you allude is not an exact number, but rather a
value (approximate) designed for health physics (ie radiation protection)
purposes, and is defined as the radiation weighting factor (formerly known
as the quality factor). What is commonly used for radiobiology is the RBE.
The numerical value of the radiation weighting factor for alphas may or may
not be the same as the RBE for nonhuman biota. Given that you are at PNNL,
there are a number of your coworkers who are experts in dosimetry.  You
might wish to discuss this dosimetry question with some of them,
specifically Bruce Napier and Darrell Fisher, to name two.  Alternatively,
you may wiush to call me (375-5643) and perhaps I can offer some help to you
on a personal level.

Ron Kathren
Washington State University