The "Pig Pen" effect

RADSAFERS,

I'm looking for the earliest reference to the "Pig Pen" effect in
radiation protection.  This effect, named after the Charles Schultz
character in the Peanuts(TM) comic strip who walks around in a cloud of
dust and debris, is the phenomenon of air being more contaminated near a
worker than at some distance away.  The explanation for the Pig Pen
effect is simply that the worker is generating the aerosol.  It is
important because it impacts the degree to which an air sample
represents the concentration breathed by a worker.

If you know who first coined or used the term, and a reference for it, I
would be most grateful.  I have heard it attributed to the late Roger
Caldwell, then at NUMEC in Apollo, PA, in the late 1960s, but this is
apocryphal.

Please respond to me privately, and I will post a composite answer on
RADSAFE.

- Dan

The opinions expressed above are my own, and have not been reviewed or
approved by Battelle, the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, or the
U.S. Department of Energy.

Daniel J. Strom, Ph.D., CHP
Staff Scientist
Health Protection Department K3-56