Re: Error OLD X-RAY SHOE-FITTING MACHINES ...

     Yes, I'm young enough to remember, old enough that I survived being
fitted in this manner (I think the numbness in my feet is due to something
else).  The best source of information on this type of x-ray is the Center
for Devices Radiological Health (FDA).  I doubt that they have a "Historical
Division," so you may want to start at the top......A/C 301 443-4690.

     These things were mounted on a wooden pedestal (nice finish, as I
recall) that was somewhat shaped like an obelisk, perhaps 5 feet tall, 3
feet on a side at the base, smaller at the top.  I believe the x-ray tube
was in the bottom, along with power supply, etc.  The customer (patient?)
stepped up on a platform with new shoes on the feet and inserted both feet
into an opening at the bottom.  Remember, this was a fluoroscope, so the
feet were between the x-ray tube and a fluorescent screen on which the image
was formed.  At the top, there was a viewing window (shaped to reduce
incident light from outside and probably not very sanitary over the years)
where the customer could look down and see the toes move if he/she wiggled
them.  On the front, there was another view window that the salesman could
look through, and there was a long pointer, as I recall, the salesman could
use to show the location of the side of the shoe and the side of the foot,
or other features, such as crowding of the toes.  Wonderful concept, but
read on.

     There was little or no shielding on these things, and customers
received a significant gonadal dose, I understand.  Unfortunately, children
like me at the time, were allowed to watch their feet about as long as they
wanted to.  As a result of the high doses, most states outlawed use of them
in the 1960s or early '70s.  Fortunately, they were gone by the time I
started here in 1970.

     I am depending on some of the older hands out there to fill in and
correct the above, as necessary.  Obviously, this is MY recollection, and
when you get over 60, several things begin to disappear, memory being one of
them.  Now let's see, where did I put my e-mail address.........oh, there it
is.......right under my name!

Bill Spell
bills@deq.state.la.us

"My boss disavows all knowledge of my existence, and most of all, my
opinions, whether real or imaginary."