Technical basis for 100 cm^2

To the best of my knowledge, I think the technical basis for using 100 cm^2
when surveying for loose contamination comes from Naval Nuclear Power, during
the "Rickover Days", and is based on the following:

	(1) Smears tend to disintegrate when surveying areas greater than 100
cm^2. 		(the original smears were paper chemistry filters)

	(2) 100 is a convenient number to use when performing calculations in
your head.
		(RadCon Math)

	(3) 100 cm^2 is approximately the area of clothing that would be
contaminated if 		a individual brushed against a contaminated
surface.

I hope this info can help.