Re: Technical basis for 100 cm^2 -Reply

Having operated under Admiral Demars and Admiral
McKeon (?) I can say with full confidence that the legacy
lives on (although I don't think my interview with Admiral
McKeon was quite as intimidating as those that I've heard of
with Admiral Rickover).  By the way, if you are ever at
Arlington National Cemetery go to Kennedy's grave site and
(while facing the grave) look to your right.  There you will see
a grave marker with the words "Father of the Nuclear Navy"
across the top.

Craig D. Brown
cbrown@envc.sandia.gov

<besta@tis.eh.doe.gov> 09/24/96 07:01am >>>
At 09:05 PM 9/23/96 -0500, you wrote:
>     What do you mean by "Rickover Days"?  It wasn't that
long ago. Or was

_________________________________
>Subject: Technical basis for 100 cm^2
>Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at INTERNET
>Date:    9/23/96 4:46 PM
>

>To the best of my knowledge, I think the technical basis for
using 100 cm^2
>when surveying for loose contamination comes from Naval
Nuclear Power, during
>the "Rickover Days", and is based on the following:
>
> (1) Smears tend to disintegrate when surveying areas
greater than 100
>cm^2.   (the original smears were paper chemistry filters)
>
> (2) 100 is a convenient number to use when performing
calculations in
>your head.
>  (RadCon Math)
>
> (3) 100 cm^2 is approximately the area of clothing that
would be
>contaminated if   a individual brushed against a
contaminated
>surface.
>
>I hope this info can help.

The "Rickover Days"  ended in 1981 when Pres. Reagan
rather unceremoniously
retired him.  15 years ago is getting to be quite a while
back.  My
understanding is though, that much of his legacy lives on.
Bates Estabrooks
Westinghouse Electric Corp.
WIPP-  Radiological  Ccontrols
505-234-8470
fax: 505-885-4562
besta@tis.eh.doe.gov

Comments expressed are my own; not my employer or U.S.
DOE (unless otherwise
stated).