Re: Chernobyl

At 18:10 24.09.1996 -0500, you wrote:
>I've heard that there has been a significant increase in radiation
>(radionuclide??) levels around Chernobyl No. 4 over the past week and that the
>Russians are concerned that there may be a "reaction" going on.
>
>Does anyone have any information on this or know where I could find some
>information - quickly!!
>
>Thanks
>
>Alex Zapantis
>Environmental Radiation Officer
>Office of the Supervising Scientist       Email: azapantis@dest.gov.au
>40 Blackall Street                                 Phone: (int+) 61 6 274 1642
>Barton ACT 2600 AUSTRALIA                 Fax : (int+) 61 6 274 1519
>
>The Office of the Supervising Scientist is a Branch of the
>         Federal Environment Protection Agency

Alex,

Sigurdur said most of all to be said. I want to add only some few words:
According to some news report only two out of ten neutron surveillance
instruments within the sarcophargus indicated an enhanced neutron flux.
According to the same reports no increase in gamma radiation was observed
neither inside nor outside. No radionuclide release was observed. For me
this would be a clear indication that no chain reaction could have occurred
and that it was a malfunction of two instruments. I am not a nuclear power
reactor expert, but having seen a long time ago on TV a BBC report which
also showed the shape of the melted core, which poured down into the cellar
and moreover is diluted with all kind of material which did melt together
with the uranium I cannot think of any chance for a controlled or
uncontrolled chain reaction, not to talk about the missing moderator.

The fact that the Ukraine wants Western countries to pay a new sarcophargus
is well known.

(The sarcophargus is the encasement build over the destroyed reactor to
prevent it from environmental impact. Many experts - many serious ones among
them - consider some risk that it might break down soon, which would cause a
release of tremendous amounts of radionuclides. It is already untight and
rain and snow come in.)

Franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7