NORM Information -Reply

I know that you said to answer directly, but I feel that this
subject is of sufficient interest to warrant posting on
RADSAFE. You might want to check the Conference of
Radiation Control Program Directors, Inc. (CRCPD) home
page at http://www.webpub.com/crcpd/

CRCPD has established a NORM Commission, and there is
a link to the NORM Commission page from the CRCPD home
page. The charges to the NORM Commission (from the
CRCPD web site) are:

1.	To develop suggested state regulations for the
regulation and control of NORM. Draft Suggested State
Regulations on NORM shall be provided to the CRCPD Board
of Directors within 18 months after the first meeting of the
Commission.

2.	To perform, or have performed, a risk-based
assessment and supporting rationale and justification for
NORM standards and a cost-benefit analysis on the degree of
regulation needed. The results of the analyses shall be made
available to the CRCPD Board of Directors within 18 months
after the first meeting of the Commission.

I hope this helps.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675  fax: (404) 362-2653
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us
hardeman@mindspring.com

>>> <burrill.s@adlittle.com> 09/25/96 14:44 >>>

I am looking for some recent information (1995 to present) on
NORM goings-on.   Specifically, any new studies on
occupational health risks and what the most  recent
regulations are at the state and federal level, as appropriate.
Any  scuttlebut about what might be happening in the near
future with regulations?

I'd be interested in hearing from any Oil and Gas Industry
radsafers who might  have had some "hands on" experience
with managing occupational risks related to  NORM.  Are
companies still looking seriously at this as an occupational
risk or  has the attention shifted away from this topic?