Re: Re[2]: Answers to Electronic Dosimetry Operability Checks

It is a very important point that Paul made, regarding the inability
to hear an alarm in a very noisy area. An EPD with a pager capability
of both a "chirp" and a "vibrate" mode would be very helpful, and
possibly a visual indication as well.

I was interested in Jamie's reply from a vendor that stated that they
don't need to test the alarm for they are very reliable. I would
state that as far as I know, no electronic equipment is or
approaches 100% reliability. If that were true there would be no need
for a QA/QC program. Anyone who says that there is NO need to check
their product is probably the first product that I would forego the
statistical sampling method and do a 100% inspection. Maybe what
they are really saying is that when there arec no checks, there are
no failures. The absence of anything doesn't mean that it isn't
there. Common sense dictates that quality checks be made to preclude
any serious consequences from occuring, especially when aging EPDs,
or any instrument, are used in inventory. Just an opinion from one who
has conducted several EPD NVLAP Assessments and had our own program
assessed as well.. There are problems with all EPDs (varying degrees), and
everyone needs to understand the characteristics of the specific EPD
they use.
understand them and take the appropriate

Sandy Perle
Director, Technical Operations
ICN Dosimetry Services Division
Phone: (714) 545-0100 Ext. 2306