Re: CHERNOBYL

At 09:02 26.09.1996 -0500, you wrote:

>     My understanding about the Sarcophagus was that the holes were, for
>     one reason or another, installed on purpose.  Some big enough to drive
>     a truck through.  The problem with this is not only the rain getting
>     into to Sarcophagus, but as the remains of the structure inside
>     collapse the contaminated dust cloud that results just escapes to the
>     atmosphere.  One thing to think about though, what ever the new
>     Sarcophagus is, when it is built it will have to last longer than the
>     Pyramids have.
>
>     Opinions are mine, or heard on PBS.
>
>     Kevin Rolfe RCT
>     KDROLFE@SANDIA.GOV

Kevin,

The holes always mentioned are not doors or similar deliberatley left open
spaces, but smaller holes, which are there because the Sarcophagus had to be
erected hastily from prefabricated parts which not always fit together well.
One of the reasons why it may collaps is that partly the old NPP structure
serves as foundation for the Sarcophagus. It is not the collapse of the old
structure, but of the whole Sarcophagus which would result in a tremendous
release of radioactive contamination.

Franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7