Pro-LNT Speaker for HPS Mid-Year

I'm on the Continuing Education Committee of the HPS and I'm looking for a
sharp Health Physicist willing to participate in a Professional Enrichment
Program course at the Mid-Year Meeting in San Jose, CA.

The course will be on Sunday January 5, 1997.   This means that AAHP and HPS
officers and board members are out since they have meetings all day on
Sunday.   I'm looking for someone to present the pro-LNT side.  John Cameron
is slated to present the opposing viewpoint.

Here's the course description:

"3-B (General) Linear No Threshold Dose-Response Model - The Pros & Cons
2 speakers, each presenting their side of the story
The format of this course will be 2 speakers each spending approximately 45
minutes presenting their side of the pros and cons for use of the linear no
threshold dose-response model and its acceptance in radiation protection
practice and risk analysis. The remaining 30 minutes will be open for
questions and discussion. A serious and often contentious debate has
developed within the health physics community regarding the validity and
general applicability of the linear no threshold for radiation protection,
and threatening the continuation of using linear no threshold hypothesis as
the basis for protection standards."

This course is NOT going to BE a debate;  just a presentation from each
speaker and then a question and answer period.   The PEP and CEL on the
topic were very well attended in Seattle.

If you are interesting in doing this or know of someone who would be
interested, email me directly at mbhartman@ucdavis.edu or call me at
916-734-7310.

I hope that I will have to draw straws (i.e. more than one volunteer).  If I
get more than one volunteer the committee will pick the lucky person.  There
is a small honorarium but no other perks.

Marcia Hartman

Marcia Hartman
Univ of CA Davis Medical Center
2315 Stockton Blvd.