Re: Isotope Generator Eluting Solution?

>Howdy,

>I'm trying to determine what is used in the "Eluting Solution" for a
>Barium/Cesium Isotope Generator.  We still have the isotope generator
>in one of our teaching labs, but have run out of the eluting solution.
>This solution is used to extract the barium isotope from the
>generator.  Unfortunately, I don't know the manufacturer of this
>device.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Call the Nucleus before you use an elutant.  There are 2 different types of
generators.  One uses an EDTA solution and the other is the saline solution
I believe.  If you use the wrong solution you will destroy the column and
the cesium will elute along with the Barium.

The old style, that does not use EDTA, looks like a white plastic cylinder.
The new style is more like a syringe.

Call the Nucleus, Inc., (615) 483-0008 and they should be able to tell you
which one you have.

Gregg Cohn
University of California-Santa Cruz
grcohn@cats.ucsc.edu