Re: accel monitoring

At 08:15 AM 10/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>But CEBAF is a CW accelerator (ignoring the micro
>structure in the beam due to the RF).  Using a proportional
>based detector at a pulsed accelerator is generally not
>possible.

We can, and often do (during tuneup and diagnostics) run in a pulsed mode,
typically at 60Hz.  Pulse width can be varied, typically 1 - 250 uSec.

I think one reason we're ok with the proportionals is that this is area
monitoring outside a very thick shield, and it appears that the pulse
structure is flattened or "spread out" such that it is not too evident
outside the shield.
But I don't know if we'd be able to use them if we had a 1usec pulse at 1 Hz.

The system I described for inside the tunnel does not work well during
pulsed mode because it is not beam sync'd.  This is something being added,
as I understand it.  I would assume that in principle one could apply this
idea to area monitoring as well, but that's way out of my balywick.
Keith Welch
Newport News VA
welch@cebaf.gov