From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Gy and Sv = J/kg
Date: Saturday, October 05, 1996 8:49PM

I gave this to Charlie Meinhold in 1990 after reading the draft of ICRP
Publication 60 (remember "effectance?"):

A DIMENSIONLESS Q OR wR VIOLATES CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

        The ICRU, ICRP, CGPM, and NIST must abandon the nonsense that Q and
wR
are dimensionless.

        The claim by the ICRP and the ICRU that both the gray and the
sievert
have
dimensions of J/kg results in 20 J/kg = 1 J/kg when alpha particles are in
question,
since 1 Gy = 20 Sv.  Merely claiming loudly and repeatedly that Q is a
dimensionless
weighting factor does not avoid the logical trap of creating energy from
nothingness
by using a committee-generated multiplying factor.

        Consider the analogous example of liters (L) of fuel and kilometers
(km) of
distance traveled by an automobile.  Suppose we have a standard, reference
automobile
that travels 10 km/L, and a new, improved model that travels 20 km/L of fuel
burned.
When we perform an experiment by putting 10 L of fuel in each car, the cars
travel
100 and 200 km, respectively.  The Relative Fuel Effectiveness, RFE, for the
two cars
is 200/100 = 2.  Clearly, the new, improved car behaves as if it were the
standard
reference car with 20 L of fuel.  But in no sense did we have 20 L of fuel
in
the
new, improved car!

        Similarly, a biological system irradiated with 0.1 Gy of alpha
radiation may
behave as if it had been irradiated with 2 Gy of beta radiation, but we
never
had 2
J/kg in the alpha experiment; we only had 0.1 J/kg.  We take this difference
in
biological behavior into account through the use of dose equivalent (should
it be
called dose behavior?), calling the 0.1 Gy of alpha-radiation 2 Sv.  In no
physical
sense is 2 Sv of alpha-radiation 2 J/kg.

        The ICRP and the ICRU can extricate themselves from the problem by
recognizing
dose equivalent for what it is:  a quantity that bears a special
relationship
energy per unit mass through dimensioned weighting factors, Q (or wR), in
Sv/Gy.

        How did the ICRP and the ICRU fall into this logical trap?  Quite
simply, Q was
originally taken as an average RBE for various kinds of radiations.  RBE is
ratio
of two doses, and therefore dimensionless.  Q, however, is not a ratio, and
can have
dimensions; in fact, it must have the dimensions of Sv/Gy in order for the
definitions of dose equivalent and effectance not to violate the
well-established
principle of conservation of energy.

        All other weighting factors are dimensionless, but Q and wR must
have
dimensions
of Sv/Gy.

        Note that the inclusion of a so-called dimensionless Q in the
specific effective
energy (SEE) values in the ICRP Publications 30 and 61 methods makes the
results of
those calculations for mixed alpha-beta emitters useless when the Qs or wRs
change.
Keeping the internal dose components separated by radiation type would be a
much more
useful service to the user of the ICRP Publications.  Leave Q out of the
energy terms
weighted by absorption fractions (call them, perhaps, absorbed energies) and
tabulate
them separately by radiation type.