Re: Working life of sealed industrial sources

As I recall, IBM discovered a problem with their silicon chips, which they
discovered was due to alpha contamination.  They backtracked the alpha
source to clean room chemicals made by Ashland Chemical Company.  Ashland in
turn discovered that the antistatic air line nozzles they use for blowing
dry their bottles contained leaking Po-210 sources made by 3-M Company.
Ashland spent over $1M decontaminating one of their facilities (in Dallas
?).  3-M refused to pick up any of the costs until it was discovered that
the leaking sources were a generic problem caused by defective
manufacturing, and were also used by other not so trivial users such as
Anheuser-Busch (brewskies) and Abbott Laboratories (babyfood).  Something
else big dominated the press at the time, and this radiation story never
made the press.