Re: reference book

At 12:35 PM 10/9/96 -0500, you wrote:
In case anyone is caught in a similar predicament, all previous radsafe
postings (from Day 1) are available by Web Browser or gopher.  Look at
gopher://romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu:70/11/radiation/radsafe
for a complete list.  To perform a word search, go to
gopher://romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu/77/.index/wais-index/radsafe/radsafe
Both can be accessed from the UIUC Rad Safety home page
http://phantom.ehs.uiuc.edu/~rad/

Happy browsing.

Dave Scherer
scherer@uiuc.edu

P.S.  To answer Emelie's question directly, I believe this is the relavent post:

The public needs no help from the linear, no-threshold model to be
afraid of radiation.  An excellent and scholarly work has been published
on this subject:

Weart, S.R.  Nuclear Fear.  A History of Images. Cambridge,
Massachusetts: Harvard University Press; 1988.  ISBN 0-674-62835-7

Instead of speculation, I vote for research, too.  We have begun, but
not completed, some work of our own (Quadrel et al. 1994).  Much remains
to be done in this area.

Quadrel, M.J.; Blanchard, K.A.; Lundgren, R.E.; McMakin, A.H.; Mosley,
M.T.; Strom, D.J.  U.S. Department of Energy Workers' Mental Models of
Radiation and Chemical Hazards in the Workplace. PNL-9467.  Richland,
Washington: Pacific Northwest Laboratory; 1994.

The opinions expressed above are my own, and have not been reviewed or
approved by Battelle, the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, or the
U.S. Department of Energy.

Dan Strom dj_strom@pnl.gov