Re: Radiophobia

     I respectfully disagree with Dave Scherer's premises.  Radiation
     is not perceived in the same light by the public as chemical
     agents, nor is radiation given the break of: "tiny-amount => tiny
     risk" concept as are most chemicals (isn't this the linear,
     no-threshold hypothesis?).  Take a look at the charts on pages
     62-63 of the UN publication "Radiation: Doses, Effects,Risks"  (a
     truly excellent booklet for the layperson).  Those charts show
     that the public (represented by students, women and businessmen)
     view radiation from nuclear power as having the highest risk.
     X-rays are lower on the scale, perhaps because X-rays are more
     familiar and have a known medical benefit.  Pesticides (closest
     risk to "chemicals") are ranked as being significantly lower
     risks than nuclear power by women and businessmen (but still
     pretty high by students - what are we teaching?)   I would
     conclude from this study that radiation, at least that from
     nuclear power, is perceived as being a significantly greater risk
     than chemicals or most other activities.  Furthermore, most
     people simply say that chemicals in tiny amounts pose little or
     no risk, but radiation is to be avoided.  Everyone knows the hero
     in the movie takes a little arsenic for years to become immune to
     its effects, but deliberate exposure to radiation - no way.

     Opinion:  and this is only worth the electrons that provide it to
     you, I agree with those who cite the past 30 or 40 years of
     images as the basis for public fear.  With radiation
     characterized as the means to create mutants and monsters in
     movies and TV, fanned by a very effective anti-nuclear industry
     which perpetuates the "one atom can kill" concept (for their own
     livelihood), we're stuck with a couple of hundred million people
     who believe any radiation is bad, at any level.   Solution: more
     education from grade school up on all manner of risk
     communication; and more openness on what we do and how
     (acknowledge the outrage factor).

     Down from that soapbox,...   and disclaimed, of course....

     Eric Goldin
     goldinem@songs.sce.com