RE: Linear Hypothesis IS the Cause of Public Fear of Radiation -Reply

Geez, you mean that if we spent $1,700+ per man, woman
and child to purchase everyone one of those "YperWatch"
radiation detector / watch / corkscrew / etc. deals then we'd
be able to explain radiation risks to members of the general
public? Why didn't somebody think of that before? I guess if
each of us bought ten (10) and gave them away, we'd be a lot
better off, right? (Tongue firmly implanted in cheek!)

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675  fax: (404) 362-2653
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us
hardeman@mindspring.com

>>> Hodgkins, 1LT Andrew T. <HODGKINS@eglin.af.mil>
What if everyone grew up with a portable count-rate meter on
their wrist?  They'd have a better idea of the relative risks
then, would they not?  "Hmm...there's just as many chirps
here next to this nuclear plant as there are in my living room,
the grocery store, my doctor's office, and cousin Bubba's
house.  What's the big deal?"

The average Joe or Joette just isn't "exposed" (sorry!) to the
concept of radiation as a part of everyday life, so it's a lot
harder to comprehend.  If they were, the task of educating the
public would be a whole lot simpler, IMHO.