Deterioration of the thin Cadmium cladding

I am posting this for a friend who does not have access to the net.

I am requesting information on the cause of the deterioration of the
thin Cadmium cladding on depleted Uranium primary collimators in a
LINAC. Could it be age,radiation damage, humidity, a manufacturing
defect, or a combination of some of the above mentioned factors? Is
there a quick "fix" with such a problem or should the collimators be
sent back to the manufacturer? I am also requesting  the radiation
safety considerations in handling and disposing of uranium oxide.
                                            Thank You