Re: Linear Hypothesis IS the Cause of P -Reply

LIPTONW@detroitedison.com wrote:

> --Boundary-3381900-0-0
>
> This misses the real question:  Why is radiation treated differently than
> other hazards?  Other hazards have "threshold limit values".  These are upper
> limits on "safe" levels, eg. concentrations, of hazardous materials.  Yet, if
> you read the basis for these, they are generally set at a level which does NOT
> protect everyone!  Industrial hygienists recognize a deminimis risk; why can't
> hp's?
> Bill Lipton

Exactly!  It is immoral, unethical and unscientific to treat radiation
in any way different from other hazards.  We have been lead down the
garden path too long by a philosophy established 70 years ago, albeit
for good reasons in those days.  With the data we have that demonstrates
no effect or beneficial/adaptive effects, we should, as rational
scientists, be able to "move into the 21st century" enlightened by the
current data.  Problem is, scientists are not much, if any, more
rational than the rest of the human race.  It is the scientific method
that is rational.  Let's use it.  Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov