Decon - More information -Reply

Mark,

You're not being "bone headed", but I would advise caution and care in
pursuing this plan.  One thing to consider, is that even though the area is
already contaminated, you could make the situation worse by driving the
contamination into hard to get at areas on the equipment.  Even if your
technique is successful, it is unlikely that you will be able to free release
metal equipment contaminated with Uranium without disassembling it.
Also when dealing with surface contamination levels on equipment pCi/g
is not very helpful in determining airborne potential, appropriate decon
methods, etc.  Typically a smear survey for removable alpha
contamination in dpm/100 cm2  and frisk with an alpha sensitive probe in
dpm/probe area for fixed alpha  is more helpful.   The level you cited
sounds rather healthy though.  It will be hard for you to keep from
becoming contaminated yourself in a tub full of water with spray flying
everywhere.  You may also wind up sacraficing the SCBA.  I honestly
think you should spend the bucks to get someone in there with the
experience to characterize your ontamination levels and come up with a
recovery plan.  It will save you money in the long run.