Re: Financial Assurance Requirements

While working for SCE I prepared a state RML application and submitted a
statement that SCE was self insured, and had sufficient financial assets in
lieu of a security bond.  This was accepted in 1993.  On the other hand, I
spent a couple of days cleaning up behind a small company tagging research
proteins that went bankruptafter changing their name a couple of times and
walked out of their rented building leaving radioactive material and mixed
waste in a rented structure.  12 months later the company officers and
employees were all working with radioactive material for someone else, the
landlord couldn't rent the property with radioactive material on site, the
state had not terminated the RML, and there was no money to ship the analyze
the mixed waste or ship the radwaste for decay in storage.  So I can
understand why financial assurance is required.