Re: RE: Unwarranted assumption

Radiology departments have used iodinated contrast agents for years with a
high(10%) chance of reaction. Now we try to use non ionic compounds which
have a lower rate of reaction.
The suggestion of skin tests is not valid and is not used in radiology
departments anymore.People who are severly allergic can die from a skin test,
and others who had no reaction to the skin test can have a severe reaction to
the injection.
On the note of shellfish, we do not use the iodinated compounds on people
allergic to shellfish.
The drug monographs point out the fact that people with allergies to
shellfish should not receive the iodinated compounds, or should receive them
with caution.
Shellfish is high in Iodine. We put patients on a low iodine diet which
excludes salt and seafood before giving them a therapeutic dose of
radioiodine.