RE: cesium-137 gamma abundance

242Send-to: RADSAFE@smtp (radsafe){radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu}
Date: 23-Oct-96 10:00:36
230Sender: LAUBERE.MHS@WVDP
From: LAUBERE@WVDP (Eva Lauber)
To: RADSAFE@smtp (radsafe){radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu}
Copies-to: cc: RADSAFE (Multiple recipients
oflist){radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu}
Subject: RE: cesium-137 gamma abundance
Application-name: MHS
200Via-host: wwpr0f.WVDP
20MCB-options: NNYNA

>Date: 22-Oct-96 17:42:53 -0400
>From: RADSAFE@smtp (radsafe){radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu}
>To: RADSAFE (Multiple recipients oflist){radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu}
>Subject: cesium-137 gamma abundance
>O-SMTP-Envelope-From: <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>
>  From: Rick Rasmussen <rickras@lanl.gov>
>
>I have a question concerning the yield or abundance for the cesium-137
>662
>keV gamma.  The lesson plans used here at Los Alamos National Laboratory
>(which are written by the DOE) use the 6CEN to get the exposure
>rate in R/hr, where C is the activity in curies, E is the energy of the
>gamma in MeV, and N is the percent abundance.  The lesson plan uses 85%
>as
>the abundance for the 662 keV gamma and I ahve ssen the 85% used
>elsewhere.
>When looking in books that show the decay scheme for cesium-137 they
>indicate that the abundance is 93.5%.
>
>Which one is correct?  Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks.
>

>Rick Rasmussen
>Los Alamos National Laboratory
>phone: 505-665-7973
>fax:   505-665-4859
>e-mail rickras@lanl.gov

Rick,

I am a member of the DOE Radiological Control Technician(RCT) Training
Oversight Group (TOG), as is Mike McNaughton at LANL.  We have the
responsiblity to keep the DOE training materials up to date and also to
address concerns and/or comments.  I think the point you brought up is
important for a couple of reasons.  First it points out sometimes people
too
familar with a concept skip steps, as in the answers to your question.
Secondly, it demonstrates the need for these materials to be thoroughly
reviewed to ensure a quality program.  I will bring up your observation to
the committee and suggest that perhaps this explaination be added to the
training materials.  Just for a little background the RCT training
materials
are reviewed and updated by a group of individuals throughout the DOE
community.  These individuals have a variety of backgrounds which include
degrees in health physics or education and training or are CHP or NRRPT or
some combination thereof. As a group, however, we have at times been
frustrated by the lack of review and/or meaningful comments.  The
materials
can be found on the internet and if individuals are interested I could
find
out the address and post it.

Eva Lauber
WVNS