Re: Financial Assurance Requirements and Agreement States

Rad. Health Unit wrote:
snip
> a few weeks. Rarely enough time to read and digest lengthy and complex
> proposals. (Note that NRC has a sizable staff dedicated to doing nothing other
> than generate new regulations, whereas very few state programs have this
> luxury.) When comments are submitted they are typically ignored and states are
> required to adopt whatever NRC decides on.
>
> Clayton J. Bradt
> Assoc. Radiophysicist
> NYSDOL
> "Rad. Health Unit"<raldrich@emi.com>

My comment is than no state is FORCED to become an Agreement State.  It
is totally voluntary. If a state complains of too much overhead and
"double" work in terms of promulgating regulations, they can give up
their Agreement State status and let NRC do it all.

IMHO the NRC does a very good (but not perfect!) job, and having 29
Agreement States promulgating "essentially equivalent" regulations is
very inefficient.

Any comment from the Texas Wes?

Wes (NJ)
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                   KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Assoc., Inc.      vanpeltw@mail.idt.net