From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: NRC Licensing of Am-241
Date: Friday, October 25, 1996 7:34AM

Eric L. Darois wrote:

>      This appears to be a confusing issue but not just for Am-241.
> snip....
>      For example, a
>      licensee cannot simply declare a 5 uCi Cs-137 source "exempt" unless
>      it is distributed under an E distribution license.
>
> snip....

Hi Radsafers,

I think the above statement is WRONG.  In my experience, and in
discussions with NRC officials, any NRC licensee who is licensed to
possess radioactive material may transfer exempt quantities of it to
anyone at all. The catch is that if a NRC specific licensee wants to
distribute exempt quantities COMMERCIALLY, he/she must get a specific
license which allows COMMERCIAL distribution of exempt quantities.

To repeat, any NRC specific licensee may transfer exempt quantities to
ANYONE.

If other Radsafers have a different opinion, please give references to
the applicable 10 CFR section.

Cheers, Wes

 --
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                   KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Assoc., Inc.      vanpeltw@mail.idt.net