Re: NRC Licensing of Am-241

Erik,

You might re-check your TSD permit.  I have known of cases where the
permit merely restricts licensable (regulated, permitted, etc...)
radioactive material.  If your permit actually restricts "anything
radioactive" (an absurdity, all things considered), you might be able
to modify it to the above case.

Wes

> Date sent:      Mon, 28 Oct 96 21:12:02 -0600
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           enielsen@webspun.com (Erik C. Nielsen)
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Re: NRC Licensing of Am-241

> Unforunately when we conduct a houshold hazaroudous waste turn-in's under
> EPA conctract.. we are not allowed to take smoke detectors...any number as
> they are radioactive!!! The functional unit of the company is separate from
> any that has RAML..  Our TSD part B facility cannot accept anything
> radioactive...even obviously expempt quantities from a non-license holder to
> a non-license holder..i.e. less than 0.05% zirconium blasting grit, lab
> packs of uranium and thorium compounds even though the agreement state and
> the NRC says the material is "not radioactive" for the purposes of disposal.

> Will our govenment agencies ever agree on what is "radioactive".
> Not in my lifetime...
>
> Erik 8-}

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us