Re: MDL and Dose Effects -Reply

If the model used for the system calibration is statistically valid,
i.e., there are an equal number of negative values as well as
positive values, the overall conclusion is that the system is geared
more to under-response, and reduction of false positives. My
experience has been that if the dosimetry system used, be if for
environmental or personnel monitoring, is fine tuned to minimize
variation within the population of dosimeter measurements, the
accuracy value can be set whereby false positives are eliminated for
all practical purposes, without the need to assess or display
negative values. One must not force a normal distribution to ensure
the elimination of false positives. I want to emphasize that I am NOT
suggesting that reporting negatives is due to reduction of false
positives, although that is one net result.

Sandy Perle
Director, Technical Operations
ICN Dosimetry Division
Office: (800) 548-5100 Ext. 2306