From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Mag-thorium alloy
Date: Monday, November 18, 1996 5:43PM

 I have two magnesium-thorium castings that I want to dispose of. Each
weighs
 about 25 pounds (11 kg). I am trying to estimate the amount of thorium in
 each. These were fabricated 30 - 40 years ago, and I have nothing to tell
me
 the percentage of thorium in them.

 Does anyone have information on mag-thor alloys, such as what an average
 thorium content might be?

 Incidentally, I've measured about 2 mrad/hr (0.02 mGy/hr) window-open, and
 about 1 mrad/hr (0.01 mGy/hr) window-closed at the surface of these
castings.

   Bruce Pickett
   The Boeing Company, Seattle, WA
   bruce.d.pickett@boeing.com