RE: Russian space probe hysteria!

>> >Hysteria seems to be worldwide ...  More "deadly" plutonium
>> >concerns...
>>
>> To be fair, Pu-238 is _still_ one of the most dangerous elements known, in
>> the right circumstances -- such as inhalation.  Right?
>
>Is there a reference for this?

There are 90 (or so) elements that are either naturally occuring or
artificial with half-lives that allow them still to be present when you get
back from lunch.  For Pu to be one of the most (maybe in the top 10%)
dangerous, there have to be 8 other elements that are more dangerous --
which term, in itself, may need qualification.  Let's say toxic and/or
carcinogenic by inhalation, gram for gram.  I can't think of more than three
or four that might even be in the running.

So, from a hand-wavy perspective, and by being specific enough to exclude
botulism toxin and cyanide by stating _element_, and by being specific about
the definition of "dangerous" to exclude hydrogen in mass quantities
(Hindenburg, q.v.), tritium in mass quantities (fusion bombs, q.v.), tired
hucksterism about oxygen (an atmosphere of 0.00001 ppm will kill, e.g.),
etcetera, the statement makes intuitive sense.

Doesn't it?

John

*John DeLaHunt, EHS & RSO * 1125 Glen Avenue          *
*The Colorado College     * Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu* VOX:  (719)389-6678       *
*        Owner:           * FAX:  (719)635-3177       *
*hazmat-l@cc.colorado.edu *                           *
****My opinions only, not those of Colorado College****