RadWorker Language Survey Results

     RADSAFERS:

     Two days ago I posted a request for information about RadWorker
     training being conducted in languages other than English, and
     bilingual postings. I have received 22 responses so far. Of the 22
     respondents, only one conducts RadWorker in a language other than
     English; this response was from Canada, and the training (and
     postings) are in both English and French. Most of the other 21
     indicated that they have been asked to do this, and have said no.

     Here are the results to this point:

     1. Number of responses received by site/facility type:

     DOE site - 9
     Power Reactor - 5 (aren't there more of these than DOE sites???  :-)
     Academic - 3
     Medical - 4
     Private Industry - 1

     2. Number of sites providing RadWorker in more than one language:

     DOE site - 0
     Power Reactor - 0
     Academic - 0
     Medical - 0
     Private Industry - 1

     3. Number of sites providing bilingual radiological postings:

     DOE site - 0
     Power Reactor - 0
     Academic - 0
     Medical - 0
     Private Industry - 1

     Some interesting comments were also received, including:

     One power reactor indicated that their "English only" RadWorker policy
     has been upheld by the EEOC.

     Several respondents indicated that their legal and/or HR departments
     were involved in the decision to conduct RadWorker in English only.

     Several respondents indicated that they do have a radiological
     "briefing" in other languages (mostly written) but this does not
     qualify someone as a radworker.

     Even though it was not asked in the original question, a large number
     of respondents also mentioned that they have been asked to conduct
     oral RadWorker exams for workers who can not read or write well enough
     to take the written test. All said no, they do not/will not do this.

     A few respondents brought up related, non-radiological issues similar
     to this; e.g., Hazard Communication training, Emergency Response, etc.

     SUMMARY

     Out of 22 responses received, only one (from Canada) conducts
     RadWorker, and posts areas, in a language other than English. Most
     indicated that they have had this request, and have said no, mainly
     due to safety issues involved with a worker not being able to read
     warning signs, understand emergency announcements, etc.

     Thanks to all who responded. If I receive more responses, I will post
     updated information later. If anyone would like a copy of the detailed
     information that I received, including all comments and explanations,
     please contact me at:

     steven.rima@doegjpo.com
     970-248-6787

     Steven R. Rima, CHP