Reason for Manuals

     The Hanford Internal Dosimetry Project has a 3-tier design of manuals.
      Each tier serves a specific purpose.

     1.  The "Technical Basis for Internal Dosimetry at Hanford" was
     created to document the science and assumptions of how we do internal
     dosimetry - design bioassay monitoring programs, calculate intakes and
     doses.  It's primary purpose is historical documentation and
     traceability so that we don't have to include complete detailed
     information in each individual dose assessment.  We merely state the
     unique data and assumptions for the case, perform the calculations,
     and cite the Tech Basis as a reference for the theory.  The primary
     target audience for the Technical Basis is a knowledgeable health
     physicist who will be performing or critiquing the dosimetry.  The
     controlled distribution of this document is fairly limited, however
     since its 1989 inception, we have provided uncontrolled copies to
     essentially anyone who requested one.  Hanford was the first DOE site
     to have such a technical basis for internal dosimetry and it became a
     template and model for the tech basis documents of many other sites.

     2.  The "Hanford Internal Dosimetry Project Manual" was created to be
     the user's guide to our services.  We provide bioassay and internal
     dose assessment services to all the Hanford site contractors and this
     controlled distribution manual contains our recommendations for
     bioassay, catalog of analytical services and capabilities, discussion
     of analytical sensitivities and minimum detectable doses, incident
     response protocols, and explanations of the various program - customer
     interfaces.  The target of this manual is our direct customers who
     routinely use our service.  It is less science and more policy,
     interface, and capabilities oriented.  This document has also been
     made available as an uncontrolled copy.

     3.  Our Hanford Internal Dosimetry Procedures Manual is geared
     specifically to the internal dosimetry staff.  It contains the
     detailed procedures for the nuts and bolts stuff of our project.  It
     includes details on how to schedule, what computer entries to make,
     format for dose assessments, how to handle incoming data, etc.  The
     target audience is the staff directly performing the tasks, and in
     that sense it is used for training, daily refreshers, and, of course,
     to make the QA auditors happy.  Because it is so specific to the site,
     we have not made this available as an uncontrolled copy.

     At various times we have created other tools for training and
     informing general workers, such as a pamphlet explaining the in vivo
     exams, a pamphlet explaining excreta sampling, an explanation of the
     committed dose concept, etc.

     When we created this 3-tier concept we thought it would encompass
     everything, but we have found that some things fall outside and
     between these tiers.  (e.g., QA Plans, project planning, etc).  On the
     whole, we have been pleased with the basic concept.

     Gene Carbaugh
     Internal Dosimetry
     Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
     eh_carbaugh@pnl.gov