Re: HUMAN RADIATION EXPERIMENTS

>---The questions you raise were not applicable in World War II. Our
elected representatives authorized the draft and the public was
overwhelmingly supportive.<

I don't take exception with this. The public supported the war
effort. Supporting the overall effort does not correlate with
supporting "all" actions taken by our elected representatives. Do we
know who actually authorized these tests? Was this decision delegated
to the military .. or was it authorized at the highest levels of
govenment?

>About 100,000 men gave up their lives and
about a million were wounded. Where is the ethical problem? Isn't it
reasonable, while this was going on, to do the plutonium injection
experiments to aid the war effort.<

The draft was a legal and accepted practice. Those who are in the
military are there with the knowledge that they will be fighting in a
war, and in war there is death and casualty. That is an accepted
fact. There is nothing wrong or ethically immoral about sending men
(or women) to war. They know what the risks are. The plutonium
injections were needed, so we are told, to learn about the potential
risks of working with plutonium as part of our national defense. Then
we are told that there were no risks inherent in this test, to those
receiving the injections. If we knew that then, what was the purpose
of the tests? If we know that the conclusion of the tests is that
there is no harm, then why were the tests conducted?

<There is good reason to believethat there was oral informed consent,
which was the common practice atthat time. These people were terminally
ill and the plutonium would do them no harm. I would have jumped at the
chance to leave the navylanding craft on which I was preparing to participate
 in the invasionof Japan at that time, to come back and participate in the plutonium
injection experiments, even though I wasn't terminally ill.<

There is no positive evidence that there was consent. This is
speculative and serves no purpose other than to condone a practice
that many fine offensive. You and many others would have volunteered
for the tests. That too is the point. You had the opprotunity to
weigh the risks and make that personal decision ... whether or not
you wanted to participate. Nobody has the right to decide what
should be done with your body, mind or soul. That is the whole issue.
It still has nothing to do with what is desired to be learned or how
the information will be used, or whether or not there are risks or
not. It all evolves around with truthfulness and allowing an
individual to chose oto be or not to be part of an experiment.

Sandy Perle
Director, Technical Operations
ICN Dosimetry Division
Office: (800) 548-5100 Ext. 2306