RE: Microfuge contamination

When we perform our regular inspections, microcentrifuges are always
checked, as we usually expect to find contamination in them (on the
order that you mentioned, 1000 - 3000 dpm or even higher). We notify the
lab if we find any contamination significantly above background and we
expect the equipment to be decontaminated as well as possible (to at
least get the counts below 1000). However, because these centrifuges
always seem to get contaminated and cannot easily be completely cleaned,
we insist that they designate the ones used for radionuclides and label
them as contaminated equipment. Supposedly there are microcentrifuge
tubes which do not leak, but I haven't witnessed any better success by
using them. I'd be interested if anyone has done any tests in this area.

Jim F. Herrold
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Wyoming
Environmental Health & Safety