Re[3]: Urgent Request for Medical Isotope Production Support

     Response to Bob Atcher:

     1. Many among the current operations staff at FFTF agree with you and
     believe FFTF can be run the most economically as a privatized
     facility.  That is their proposal.  The rapid retrieval system has
     been designed and is part of that proposal.

     2. Advanced Nuclear & Medical Systems, Richland, has submitted a
     proposal to DOE to privatize the FFTF.  There are several other larger
     companies that would like the same opportunity.  You are right that
     the medical isotope mission will depend on the tritium mission.  The
     current debate is not on FFTF as a medical isotope production
     facility, but rather whether FFTF can produce sufficient
     tritium to meet an interim national need.  That is being studied
     by the JASONS.  It is also under intense study and scrutiny by
     the Department of Energy and the Department of Defense.

     3. The primary purpose of FFTF was never isotope production.  FFTF
     was built to test components for the nation's breeder program, which
     was canceled by President Carter.  It did demonstrate isotope
     production capabilities during its operations during some of the
     tests.

     4. The IOM report did not consider alternative missions for FFTF,
     because there were not any at that time.  We all agree that isotope
     production was not sufficient to justify the $60-80 million/year
     cost of FFTF operations.  That argument is past history.  The people
     who will benefit are those who currently work at FFTF.  These are
     scientists, engineers, craftsmen, and support staff who made the FFTF
     successful in the first place.  Bob, it takes initiative on the part
     of dedicated people like this to make good things happen.

     4. The FFTF will produce those isotopes for which there is a
     commercial market.  If privatized, FFTF will compete in the private
     sector, just like any business in a capitalistic society.  The other
     option is to let the taxpayer pick up the current costs of FFTF in
     stand-by mode ($50 million/year) where nothing is produced.  There are
     more than 60 isotopes under consideration for FFTF production.  Many
     of these are indeed in short supply, such as precursors to
     bismuth-213.  Gadolinium-153 is still in demand, in fact, I have
     purchased more than $25,000 worth this year alone from the Russians
     for essential purposes!  Our Lab also purchased something like $75,000
     worth of cobalt-60 this year from the Canadians.  The I-131 market
     (also from Canada) will also greatly increase as radiolabeled
     antibodies using I-131 receive FDA approval.  The FFTF team believes
     in domestic isotope supply rather than dependence on foreign sources.

        Darrell R. Fisher
        Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
        Richland, Washington  99352
        509-376-3736