RSO qualification/RSC content

On Mon, 25 Nov 96 16:28:18 -0600, slaback@micf.nist.gov wrote:

>Question 2 of the NRC proposed rulemaking:
>Should the NRC incorporate requirements for the
>duties and responsibilities of the RSO and RSC?

On a related but slightly different note, what about the content of the
proposed rule?

The proposed 33.21 states that "At a minimum, the Radiation Safety
Officer shall have an academic degree in physical or biological science
or engineering...," etc.  I know that this discussion has come up
before in regards to application requirements for the ABHP exam, but
I'm curious from what source this kind of intellectual elitism stems.
I'm sure that are plenty of fine RSOs in practice right now who do not
possess formal academic degrees.

In reference to the make-up of the Radiation Safety Committee, the
proposed 33.22 states that among other things, "Membership shall
consist of... [some deleted] at least one user authorized by the
Radiation Safety Committee from each of the departments, groups, or
activities that will use byproduct materials permitted by the
license... ."  Let's see... our campus football stadium isn't used for
a good part of the year; maybe we can use that for our RSC meetings.

--
Melissa Woo, Health Physicist                    |m-woo@uiuc.edu
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign       |ofc 1.217.244.7233