Re: fuel rods as sealed sources

At 06:06 AM 03-12-96 -0600, you wrote:
>     The issue of whether fuel rods are considered sealed sources is not
>     relevant, as they are excluded as being dealt with under other
>     regulations.  Please note the definition of sealed source in
>     10CFR30.4.  A sealed source is defined for the purpose of the
>     regulations as "...any byproduct material that is encased..."  Fuel
>     rods are special nuclear material (also defined in 10CFR30.4), and the
>     reader is referred to 10CFR70.
>
>     V/R
>     GRCicotte
>     Health Physicist III
>     Ohio Department of Health
>     Bureau of Radiation Protection
>

>George:  Your statements are correct as far as they go; however, you should
note that 10 CFR 70.4 also contains an NRC definition of a sealed source
that is exactly the same as the 10 CFR 30.4 definition except that the words
'special nuclear material' appear in the 70.4 definition instead of the
words 'byproduct material' in the 30.4 definition.  It, therefore, appears
that fuel rods are 'sealed sources' under the NRC's 10 CFR 70.4 definition.
I would be interested to know of the 'other regulations' that you allude to
that regulate/deal with fuel rods from the standpoint of the clarifying why
the NRC apparently feels the regulatory need to declare fuel rods as 'sealed
sources' in 10 CFR 70. REGARDS

David W. Lee
Radiation Protection Policy & Programs Analysis Group, ESH-12
Los Alamos National Laboratory
PO Box 1663, MS K483
Los Alamos, NM  87545
(505) 667-8085