Re: Where is Barnhill

At  Thu, 5 Dec 1996 13:46:08 -0500 (EST) Tad Blanchard
<Tad.M.Blanchard.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote: > Subject: Re: E-Link: Major
Breakthrough in Hazardous Cleanup Process ...

>>Plasma Technology Promises Nuclear Cleanup
>snip>  Without the plasma technology and
<>with the promised closing of Barnhill, South Carolina's open trench dump
>>both states were going to left with no waste elimination alternatives.
>>

>Where is Barnhill?  I've heard of Barnwell.  Shows how much time was spent
>creating the article....

Well I did a search and found this interesting paragraph:

A more well-tried but nonetheless still demanding adventure is to take the
gated road from Ardlussa and walk up to Barnhill, the remote farmhouse
where George Orwell lived just after the war and where he wrote his
classic novel 1984. If you have a car you will be able to take it to
within four miles of Barnhill before the road deteriorates to a farm track
suitable only for Land Rovers. This will leave you an eight mile round
trip walking over pretty rough ground for which you will need to be fit
and have proper walking boots. You should see red deer and, if you're very
lucky, golden eagles. The really adventurous might like to continue past
Barnhill to the northern shore of the island to view the famous whirlpool
of Corryvrecken, although weather conditions have to be exactly right for
it to be properly active. If you are seeking remoteness then few places in
the Scottish islands can match Jura for that exhilarating feeling of total
aloneness.

By the way, stripping the electrons off an atom can change the half-life
of nuclides that decay by electron capture.

--
webber@nist.gov