Re: Reply to Christopher Beyer

It is a brave man who uses the word "never". I can go out tomorrow and spend
$31,000 (Australian) on a "solar power kit" which will provide my house with
"free" power 365 days per year for 20 years, at which time the batteries will
need replacing. I would not have to decrease my use of power and would actually
be able to sell power back to the grid for much of the year.

The only thing which stops solar power generating facilities from being
incorporated into new houses as a matter of course is cost. As the technology
improves, costs will come down and the use of solar power will become
economically viable in most of the world. It's not a matter of "if", but a
matter of "when".

I don't foresee vast arrays of solar cells providing power for large populations
as current utilities do. Rather, I think that solar power may be used on a
smaller scale to supply power to smaller communities, perhaps even at the
individual house level.

Nonetheless, this is a long way off and in the meantime, coal and nuclear power
will remain the dominant power generating methods. Given the choice, on
environmental grounds, I would prefer nuclear power to coal fired power.

These have been my thoughts only and do not necessarily represent the views of
the Australian Commonwealth Government!!!