Re: Decommissioning of Van De Graff Accelerators

A coworker of mine asked me to post this.

Our facility (University of Iowa) has a Van De Graff Accelerator that has
not been used for 10 to 15 years and there are now plans to tear it down
within the next year.  Are there any special radiation concerns to deal
with?  Does anyone have any experience in this area?

By the way, we have not had any luck locating any of the previous users
of this device.

Joey Michael
University of Iowa
Health Protection Office