RE: One last comment on Irradiation

Date:          Tue, 17 Dec 96 07:54:31 -0600
From:          Wieland@nepo1.iaea.or.at (Wieland Patricia)
To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject:       RE: One last comment on Irradiation

Dear all,

May I remind you of the internationally recommended basic principles of
radiation protection.
In particular the justification of a practice, briefly:

"A practice that entails or that could entail exposure to radiation should
only be adopted if it yields sufficient benefit to exposed individuals or to
society to outweigh the radiation detriment it causes or could cause".
IAEA - SS n. 115,  1994

This principle shall be taken into account by the national regulatory bodies
to authorize a practice  that entails or that could entail exposure to
radiation.

In other words, although food irradiation has a lot of known advantages,
RADIATION SAFETY  has to be considered always. The practice should be
adopted if it is suitable and there is no other "non-radioactive" option
available.

Patricia Wieland
IAEA
e-mail: wieland@nepo1.iaea.or.at

Seems to me that the IAEA has been encouraging the development of
food irradiation technology, thus implying that it meets their "
prime directive".  After all it's not potentially starving people we're
talking about here folks.  This is no time to get wrapped around
idiotlogical axles.  A pressing question is how do you provide a safe
working environment for an irradiator in a country that doesn't have
the infrastructure( I dislike using that word, but it's the only one
that comes to mind) to effectively regulate the use of the large
quantities of radioactive materials necessary.  This is another area
where I believe the IAEA has an opportunity to provide a valuable
service.
<>    Charles R. (Russ) Meyer                  <>
<> Email: cmeyer@tdh.state.tx.us           <>
<>     Phone:(512)834-6688                       <>
<>        Fax:(512)834-6654                        <>