NORM Building Debris Removal and Scanning

     Here's a technical reference regarding survey techniques for NORM
     contaminated building debris:  HP Journal December 1991 Vol 61(6) page
     903-911.  "Development and use of statistical survey criteria for
     released material at a former uranium processing facility."  Steve
     Green and others.

     This describes a practical approach that is used in one form or
     another at DOE sites including Weldon Spring, for which it was
     written, and UMTRA.

     At the DOE Grand Junction Office we have tackled more than 4000
     uranium mill tailings cleanups on privately owned properties, the
     Denver Radium Superfund sites, and the Monticello, Utah uranium mill
     CERCLA cleanup. (Mill tailings are NORM that is regulated under a
     different set of rules.)  We use various survey processes including
     one similar to the one described in this article.  The most important
     part of establishing the any survey method is to first figure out what
     you are trying do.  We start with a Data Quality Objectives (DQO)
     process to lay the groundwork for the survey plan.  You will find
     information on DQOs at http://etd.pnl.gov:2080/cgi-bin/DQOhome.cgi

     Experience has shown that for uranium mill tailings (which have the
     same consitutents you have listed) a pancake GM outperforms an alpha
     meter.  Looking at decay schemes and considering the uranium depletion
     resulting from milling we found that there are approximately similar
     numbers of alpha and beta decays per pCi of mill tailings, so we apply
     a 5000 dpm/100 sq cm beta limit in lieu of the 5000 dpm/100 sq cm
     alpha limit.

     Bob Morris, CHP, CIH
     WASTREN-GJ
     2597 B 3/4 Road