Re: Plutonium spontaneously combusting???

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Johannes Strydom wrote:

[SNIP]

> I have never heard of plutonium spontaneously combusting in air.  Is
> this possible or is it just another one of the incredible misconceptions
> about plutonium and radiation (I tend to believe this one).  Maybe they
> mean spontaneous fission.

Some forms of plutonium are pyrophoric, and can spontaneously ignite.

  * Gary Masters                                 Phone (303) 966-3266 *
  * Radiological Engineering                       Fax (303) 966-8459 *
  * Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site                         *
  * PO Box 464   Building T690A               e-mail gmasters@csn.net *
  * Golden, Colorado 80402-0464          http://www.csn.net/~gmasters *