Subject: Fwd: Cutie Pie ion meters -Reply
Author:  FRAMEP@ORAU.GOV at -MailLink
Date:    12/19/96 10:45 AM

>Is Paul Frame watching?

Yes Chris. I'm a masochist.

>>Could anyone tell me where the name Cutie Pie comes from.
>> I thought it had something to do with Q for charge and the
>> collection area, but I'm not sure.

I don't believe that anyone really knows the exact origin of the term.
The cutie pie seems to have been developed in Oak Ridge during the
Manhattan Project (almost called the Knoxville Project by the way). I've
talked to old timers from the instrument group at ORNL about this, guys
like Cas Borkowski, but they can't tell me exactly who built the first one.
There is a story that a fellow by the name of Ballou did it and named it
after his wife whom he thought was a real cutie pie. I tracked Ballou
down and he denies that he had anything to do with the cutie pie. In any
event, the strong consensus is that the "Q" for charge and "t" "pie" for
two pi business makes a nice story but is pure fancy. The most probable
explanation is that the instrument did such a nice job that they applied the
term "cutie pie" - a common slang term for something really neat.

Best wishes to all for the holidays!

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
ORISE