Date:          Fri, 20 Dec 96 15:13:30 -0600
From:          TSNKW@ccmail.ceco.com
To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject:       Origin of the Cutie Pie (CP)

     I can't resist telling the story I was told in college (years ago) by
     a reputable professor dealing with this issue of the cutie pie.  It is
     a slight variation of the one told earlier on Radsafe dealing with the
     "wife."

     The inventor (can't remember if the professor knew his name) worked
     late in his lab one night putting the finishing touches on his new ion
     chamber.  (In fact, he had been working late for several nights.)
     Finally, when he got home, his wife said, "Where have you been
     spending all of these evenings, do you have a cutie pie somewhere?"
     Somewhat irritated by the question, the husband responded, "Ya, right,
     I've got a cutie pie in my lab."  Supposedly, later, he chuckled at
     what he said, and decided to call the new instrument a "cutie pie."

     Is the above story true?  I have no idea.  But it satisfied the
     students' curiosity at the time ... and makes for a nice story during
     the holiday season ... at least maybe for an HP.

     Kit Weaver
     tsnkw@ccmail.ceco.com

George Anastas, M.P.H., P.E., C.H.P., Director
Environmental Health and Safety and
University Radiation Safety Officer
California State University, Sacramento
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA  95819-6002
Telephone 916/278-6456
Direct 916/278-5447
FAX 916/278-5960
anastas@csus.edu

"Expect the best and accept no less."

"The views expressed herein are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect the views
of California State University, Sacramento,
California State University, the State of
California or any of its political subdivisions.
This posting is disclaimed."